Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Time To Grieve Book 1 - My Review



A few months back my sister sent me a series of books called A Time To Grieve by Kenneth C. Haugk.  It's a set of four short books that are to be given to grieving people at four crucial times during the first year after a loved one has passed.  Each book focuses on what the person is likely to be experiencing at that point in grief and provides care, assurance, encouragement and hope.

 I thought I was ready to read these books when I received them, but I wasn't.  I opened book 1 only to close it a page or so in. 
I simply wasn't ready. 
A couple of days ago I decided to try it again...and to my surprise I was ready.

Most people could finish this little faith based booklet in an hour or two, but being the note taker I am, it took me two sittings to finish the book.

Book 1 explains some of the things we experience in grief, some myths and some of the feelings that seem so strange.  It also talks about the pressure to be strong and what affects our grief. 

While the books are meant to be given to a grieving person throughout the first year of their grief, it's my opinion that these books are appropriate to give at any stage of grief.

I'm nearly 14 months into my grief and for me, reading book 1 now was the perfect time.  Some of the information was repetitive from what I've learned in online grieving groups and therapy, but some of it was new information or information I hadn't really thought about.

I related most to the "The Fog of Grief".  This short chapter speaks about how we accidentally injure ourselves more and seem to live in a fog.  This was a difficult time for me...I had bruises on my legs, cuts on my fingers, earaches, constant headaches, my nails were chewed down (which is something I've never done) and I forgot even the most simple tasks. 
I felt as though I was going crazy.

Now, while I still have "foggy days", for the most part I'm past that stage.

I feel that if the other three books are similar to this one (I will write a review for each as I read them) they are an asset to anyone grieving the loss of a loved one.  I also think they can be helpful to those who are just trying to understand what a grieving friend or family member may be going through.

Below are a few snippets from book 1. 












This book review was done of my own free will.  I was not compensated or asked to provide this review.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment